treadle chicken feeder

I made one about a week ago and the training is proceeding well. My wild bird population visiting the yard has already dropped by 90% or more. Mine is largely waterproof, but I live in the desert so the storms are strong but brief and infrequent. Water could get in under the cover portion. I also elevated the bottom to keep it out of water. I can already see that getting bonked in the head will be a rare, if not non-existent problem. I built two and the second one takes nearly a full second to close. Here is my page with plans to build your own treadle feeder: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=56638-building-a-treadle-feeder

Hello I am new to the forum.
smile.png
I have read everything about "treadle feeders" on BYC and am wondering if anyone has purchased a galvanized treadle feeder from the UK? I have emailed several UK sellers and heard nothing back so not sure if they ship to the US.
I see "Grandpas" treadle feeders are available in the US but the footprint is too large for my henhouse.
There is also the "home made" one on offered on ebay, it has a smaller footprint but it is made from treated wood and I do not feel comfortable putting organic feed in treated wood
Any advise would be great!:)Thank you!

Quote:
Maybe it would be worth a phone call. I saw a number of web sites selling them that also had phone numbers. I'm very interested in what it ends up costing with shipping. I suspect it wouldn't be much more than the one on ebay and much better quality. Keep us updated and
welcome-byc.gif

http://www.woodworkingcorner.com/feeder.php

This
is the one my Dad made for me for Chrsitmas. It works great so far. It only took me two tries to show one Chicken how to use it, now they all do. I have it filled with BOSS (initially as a training tool) and I'm surprised that they will eat a little bit of the sunflower seeds and then walk away. I thought they would eat and eat until they were all gone.

Quote:
Seriously, thanks for the plans!! This should be posted in a sticky at the top of a topic, so it's always available. I just book marked it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Can you please let me know which company from the UK is willingto ship to the US?
Or is there a US compqny that has them for sale in galvanized steel?

Back
Top Bottom