Treadle Feeder

Not being mean to you man, just pointing out that most of the Chinese made feeders like the Grandpa feeder, the clones, and the home made version are just crap designs. Hating on all models of treadle feeders is likes saying all cars are bad because model T's or Yugos had problems. Anytime you generalize it is hard to be accurate or honest. Just saying...

Not being mean to you man, just pointing out that most of the Chinese made feeders like the Grandpa feeder, the clones, and the home made version are just crap designs. Hating on all models of treadle feeders is likes saying all cars are bad because model T's or Yugos had problems. Anytime you generalize it is hard to be accurate or honest. Just saying...

Yeah you might think I generalize things but I've built my own using my background. It is what it is but they don't always work.

I used to be a machinist and moving parts in a chicken coop just didn't work. I have a pretty sound background in metal, moving parts, and tolerances of said moving parts. I can take pictures of my bridgeport mill or my southbend lathe in my shop. It's a sound design on paper but doesn't work in 100% of the environments. It didn't in my covered 10x20 run. I used pellet feed not crumbles. The dust combined with the humidity gummed up the moving parts. I guess if I had to sift all my feed It might have worked but not gonna do that every time I have to fill a feeder. Ease of use is my main priority over having to scrub a feeder every week.

Last edited:
And your zip code doesn't appear in our order list. I see you edited your post at 12:46 am and removed the claim that you had bought one of my feeders that was posted at 12:33 am. "Yeah I'd generalize things but I've built my own first and bought one of yours when that one didn't work. It is what it is but they don't always work." That came through the notification email.

Making one out of wood, yeah the dust and humidity will stop it quickly in many cases, IF you make the tolerances too tight. We sold wood feeders in the beginning, plywood, metal hinges. Some are still in use from 2011. The feeder grew into a all metal design except for the treadle step, the fit isn't tight on the moving parts, impossible for them to gum up due to dust or humidity. No one has to sift feed when using a properly designed treadle feeder and our feeders in the pictures are always immersed in poo,mud, feathers, and the only thing that stops them is the ammonia in the chicken poo that will rust out anything and it is usually the bottom of the feeder, not the moving parts. Even that doesn't happen if you keep the feeder up on patio blocks.

Back
Top Bottom