Treadle Feeder

@Al Gerhart
download (2).jpeg

It doesn't function as well and becomes a pain. I guess the pellets are heavier and they slide down easily.
Aiiiii! You should have hollered at me! This is why I like to visit BYC when I have the time. That is an easy fix. Stick your hand or something to pry with down in from the top and gently push that feed tray forward, you are opening up the throat a bit. Not too much! Try a little and test, rinse and repeat till it working well with the crumbles. If you go too far slip a chunk of cardboard inside to choke off the flow. You don't want too much feed piling up at the base of the feeder. There should be a thin layer of feed on that downward slope of the feeder bottom that holds the feed up in the throat. Notice that I didn't say to wax the bottom of the feeder inside the feed area. The soft close feeder is the one most likely to not feed crumble as well, missing the impact and vibration from the door closing.

Or get some floor wax and wax the back side of the feed tray and the inside surface of the back panel. Crumble will flow well.

Haven't had luck with them. The cottontail bunny was the first to learn how to use it. Routinely the first critter waiting for the chicken run diner to open. Then the squirrel learned from the bunny. Squirrel got caught inside the treadle feeder once. That was nice. Not. My younger hens were taught "Step Up" by me and eventually learned how to use the feeder, but my oldest hen, Jolene, never caught on. Too bad you're up in NY, as I have a very nice wood treadle feeder built by husband that is sitting collecting dust in my barn.:rolleyes:

Moving parts? A door axle sitting 12" above the muck and a treadle that if properly designed cannot collect litter or much, 1/8" x 3/4" flat bar on edge with a narrow step on the end. Not going to gum up and only two moving parts, the treadle and the door. Now those wide step monstrosities used on the Chinese made Grandpa feeder and the clones, yeah, five or six joints or pinch points and a wide flimsy treadle that is more designed to appeal to the consumer than actually work. And if the treadle door is spring loaded not even a large rat is strong enough to push the door open. The Chinese made feeders? Yes, a small rat or ground squirrel can simply push the lid up. Not so with a property designed feeder. The wooden treadle feeders are just clones of the Chinese made Grandpa feeder, poor design, no counterweight, no spring loaded door, yeah critters can get into them easily.

Back
Top Bottom