Treadle Feeders??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gpac, Sep 30, 2010.

1. gpac

gpac Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Maui
    I am on the verge of purchasing a galvanized treadle feeder. The main reason being the huge amounts of feed eaten by the wild birds in the yard, mainly sparrows. Does anyone else out there use it and is it worth the rather steep price? I have neither the time or the skill to build my own from scratch. Opinions please.....Thanks. [​IMG] 2 redstars/2blackstars/3buff orps/4black sexlinks/2barredrocks/1rir.rooster/2dogs/2jacksons/1arowana

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Won't the wild birds learn to use the treadle, too?

3. gpac

gpac Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Maui
    They aren't suppose to be heavy enough to lift the door. [​IMG]

4. littlefork

littlefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I know the one you are referring too, and it is on my list for next year purchases when we get our chickens. It appears to be well made and I like that nothing can chew thru it. I think the price is well worth it if it keeps wild birds, squirrels, mice, etc from getting to the feed before the chickens do. It looks like it will last a lifetime. I just cannot decide on which size to get.

5. gpac

gpac Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Maui
    The only one I could find was from Grandpas. Looked high and low for more choices but no luck. I was thinking of getting the standard size for my 12 Hens and 1 Roo. They never seem to eat at the same time anyways. [​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I think you will find the metal treadle feeders well worth the price, even if the price seems steep. I too had a sparrow problem; they were eating more than my chickens were. When you consider that, it wouldn't take long to offset the cost of the feeder (especially if you feed organic). I searched for metal ones and really liked all of them that I saw (online). It seems that there are several brands being made and sold in the U.K. I ended up making my own from wood, but if I couldn't make one or didn't have the time, I would have bought one. BTW, my sparrow problem was over within a few days of deploying the feeder. The added benefit is it also keeps out rodents. If you end up buying one, please post pics and tell us about it. I'm very curious. Good luck!

7. Beckyhsinglsc

Beckyhsinglsc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:What about ants? Do they get into the treadle feeders? We have a lot of ants!

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:It would all depend on how tight the lid fit. The larger fire ants probably couldn't get into the ones I made but I don't know about those tiny ones we have here. I think you could make a seal from felt or rubber or something around the cover. I noticed last night that I have a new active colony of fire ants near the coop and they were foraging next to the run where the feeders were, but weren't carrying any feed. I'm keeping an eye on them though and I'll let you know if they get in.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There's a treadle feeder made of wood on eBay right now, "Buy It Now" not auction, for $99.00. I think that's less than Grandpa's, isn't it? Of course, wood isn't as durable as is galvanized metal... but it's an option I am considering.

If I recall correctly, you can find it by searching on eBay for "chicken feeder." Check it out - perhaps it will serve your purposes.

10. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Looks to me like the lid would hit the chicken as it comes up. Am I being crazy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by