treadle/(Grandpas) feeder help— not progressing

Pics
You could try to put some treats on the feeder, getting them used to it is all about desensitizing. I would go inside and open and close the feeder by pressing the lid until you get bored and want to leave. That's what I did, now I can drop sheet metal onto sheet metal next to my chickens when they are sleeping and they dont even move, the reasons is because they are desensitized to loud sounds because of the loud treadle feeder.

Today they are perfectly fine with it and trained to it.

You can also put a heavy rock on the feeder for about 30 mins a day to let them eat only during that 30 mins, its a little cruel and they will be volatile while hungry but it keeps the sparrows away, it can help you with the sparrows and keeping it open while training them

msg me back for any updates!
Thanks for your message, great to know that they will eventually get used to it. It took 4 days of being locked in the coop with it and me picking up each chook and placing them on the platform and holding them their til they ate for them to now almost be comfortable with it. I let them out of their coop today for a run around the backyard and a much needed and highly enjoyable dust bath under their favourite tree. I will leave them with the feeder on the same same setting for another 3 days, then I will remove the training bolts and leave them locked up until they start opening up the lid by themselves. I shall open and close it lots for them and bring treats also. Fingers crossed! 🤞😁🐔🐔🐓

Mine are not all silkies. I only have 1 of those. Mine are all large and in charge until they're scared to death of their feeder. I got to step 2 and they were fine with a little movement. they are not having any of the 3rd and final step. they will search for food on their own; however, I found this on FB... i already had blocked the sides with my water containers... I totally believe this will work. (I know the post is old, but the problem is recent for me and it cracks me up how everything old is new again where chicken problems are concerned.) https://www.facebook.com/grandpasfe...tand-on-the-treadle-if-the-/2404965006206174/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom