treadle/(Grandpas) feeder help— not progressing

Pics
M

member 615286

It has been weeks now:(
(Video attached)

I spent two weeks at training level 1 (1st peg, fully open, no lid movement).

After a week at training peg 2, they still won’t use it as intended.
They will eat down the feed from the sides (not requiring they step on pedal) until it’s so low they can’t reach more.

I’ve tried putting mealworms in the center.
They approach over and over trying to get to them by stepping on the petal and, retreat *every time* one of them makes it move and the lid opens *ever so slightly*.
I have gone back to peg one an additional week, no problems.
Moving to 2nd setting, fleeing as soon as the lid moves.

I have been trying an “in between” settings 1 and 2 (by building under where the peddle hits the ground, so it *barely* opens at all when they step on it, and buffering any/all sound when it moves)… as soon as it moves, even only the millimeters it’s currently allowed to, they flee.

(they do not have access to feed elsewhere, as instructed for training:)

Advice?

in between 1 and 2 training pegs).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have silkies, but I know they have their own characteristics which tend to be quirky - I wonder if that has anything to do with their fear?
Like my polish are definitely more flighty and quirkier than my other breeds. I have a treadle feeder, but it opens in instead of up. I'm not recommending it though as it has it's own issues that bother me.

I think if they get hungry enough they will use it. My Brahma was afraid for the longest time, she would wait until somebody else opened it. My 5 mo olds are the same. I think you just need to give it time. When you go back a step.uou are just making it take longer for them to get used to it.

I think if they get hungry enough they will use it. My Brahma was afraid for the longest time, she would wait until somebody else opened it. My 5 mo olds are the same. I think you just need to give it time. When you go back a step.uou are just making it take longer for them to get used to it.
My brahma still won't use the treadle feeder we have. She waits for others to open it up and eats from the side. 😁

Last edited:
I don't have silkies, but I know they have their own characteristics which tend to be quirky - I wonder if that has anything to do with their fear?
Like my polish are definitely more flighty and quirkier than my other breeds. I have a treadle feeder, but it opens in instead of up. I'm not recommending it though as it has it's own issues that bother me.
Yes, they are terrified :)

Back
Top Bottom