Treat feeding method

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mac, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    My chickens aren't free ranging yet so I feed them vegetables/treats in the coop and dirt run. I've been cutting them up and just tossing them out, trying to spread the treats all over so everyone gets some. Then they either get covered with shavings or dirt. Do you guys feed yours that way or in a shallow pan either in the coop or run? Or does it even matter. Chickens don't seem to mind.

Thanks.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the food is not wattery, I just toss it on the floor. If it is like a soup or congee, I put it in a shallow pan. Either way it ends up everywhere and eventually composted and turned into some veggies.

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I toss it in and get out of the way!!

4. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    I have one of those shallow rubber pans for feeding horses that I sometimes put stuff in that is wet, like cut up tomatoes.

But a lot of stuff I just toss in the run.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im like coyotemagic......toss and run! If I dont run, I get mobbed by 60 + chickens! LOL When they see the red coffee can....they know!

6. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I only have 24 so I hand feed treats. I like it because they all run to me when I walk into thechickens yard...even if I don't have a treat. It makes me think they love me. [​IMG]

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Got that right. Once they get used to treats they'll peck your fingers
    off to get it.

Don't worry about the dirt and shavings. Those are part of a chickens
    diet anyways. [​IMG]

8. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Mac, This would be a good time to teach your chickens to come to you when you call them. Pick what you want to use as a call ( "here chick chick" or even "here kitty kitty" as used by one ezbyc member LOL) and call them every time that you give them treats. Then, when they do free range, or just escape, all you have to do is call and they will come running from all over the yard. Chickens are suckers for treats, LOL.

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by