Treat for worms or upper respiratory-more chickens sick every day!

ChurkLover

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
St. Louis
I have one hen who makes a long "crow" sound often. A couple others started with a congestion sound and now more are getting it. I am not sure if the two symptoms are related. Because the congestion sound started spreading so quickly among my birds (31 chickens and 10 turkeys), I am getting worried. I treated them for bacterial respiratory with Duramycin but it did not help. More birds are getting this "cold" sound daily and I am starting to panic. Even my 3 month old turkeys are starting to get it. I have ordered Oxine AH (based on much research on other posts) and will treat them for fungal respiratory but it won't be in until Monday. Does anyone know if it will hurt the birds if I treat them for worms today and then give them the Oxine AH treatment Monday? Also, I read up on wormers and bought Wazine and Ivermectin injectable for cattle and am not sure which one to start with. I do not want to overdose my birds but they need help fast!

Quote:
I dont see any reason why you cant use oxine and a wormer at the same time. Ivermectin injectable is useless as a wormer in chickens. I recommend that you return it and get either valbazen or safeguard.

Dawg... didn't I read on here somewhere that the Ivermectin injectable can be given orally to chickens? I know it can be to dogs (it's what I give mine monthly for heartworm prevention). I'm probably losing my mind - I will, of course, bow to your expertise! You are my guru!

Thank you...I will return the ivermectic injectible. I saw the safeguard paste for horses at the feed store...is that the safeguard you are referring to? I do have the ivermectin 1.87% paste for horses but read somewhere that the paste for horses should not be given to the chickens. I suppose I should just start with the wazine and do more research in the interim for the other wormers...

Quote:
Safeguard liquid goat wormer and valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer are my preferences. You can order either from Jefferslivestock.com or call them if your feed store doesnt carry either. You can also use the safeguard equine paste if you wish.

I use the safeguard for horses on my chickens and they do well with it
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom