Treated for coccidiosis, 2ndary bacterial infection.. little/no improvement.. now what?

PNW keeper

Chirping
Mar 29, 2022
I’m trying to figure out what is wrong with my chicken. I have a sick 16 week old cream legbar named Lizzo among my flock of 8 chickens. See the timeline below.

IMG_3500 copy.jpg

6/11
- started acting lethargic, getting pale, wobbly on feet, diarrhea present in coop but unclear who it was from, no blood
- began adding 2 T of Corid to 1 gallon of water to treat for Coccidiosis (based on input from these forums)
6/18
- she fell off the ramp in the coop, so I moved here to a tote in the garage and she was sleeping almost constantly
6/20
- drench dosed .5ml directly into her beak for three days along with Corid water (I did notice improvement, she seemed to be a bit more aware, less sleepy)
6/26
- still wobbly and fallingover, I started here on amoxicillin 250mgfor 10 day (currently on day 5) to treat any potential secondary bacterial infection
I also started giving her some probiotics in her water with the Corid

But now she seems to be heading the other way again, looking sleepy, not stable.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what to do next or what this might be? Stay the course? Other intervention?

some other notes:
- Poop looks normal now, no visible worms
- outdoor temperatures have been mild and comfortable 60-70 degrees
- my other birds look healthy as far as I can tell
- previous thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-for-coccidiosis-ups-downs-now-what.1533975/
- special thanks to @azygous for the helpful advice to this point

You've been doing remarkably well with this very critical situation. That your hen has shown improvement with the early drench doses is a hint that you're on the right track.

Unfortunately, inflammation of the intestines caused by corrosion by coccidia can be hard to treat with a general antibiotic such as amoxicillin. For this, we usually go to a sulfa antibiotic which seems to do better at treating this particular issue.

You may be able to find it by calling pet or pigeon supply shops and asking for pigeon sulfa. Or keep up with the amoxicillin until you can get delivery by ordering from this outfit. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r

You've been doing remarkably well with this very critical situation. That your hen has shown improvement with the early drench doses is a hint that you're on the right track.

Unfortunately, inflammation of the intestines caused by corrosion by coccidia can be hard to treat with a general antibiotic such as amoxicillin. For this, we usually go to a sulfa antibiotic which seems to do better at treating this particular issue.

You may be able to find it by calling pet or pigeon supply shops and asking for pigeon sulfa. Or keep up with the amoxicillin until you can get delivery by ordering from this outfit. https://jedds.com/products/trimethoprin-sulfa-medpet?_pos=1&_sid=83dcb7a2a&_ss=r
Thanks, that's good to know. I will order that product and in the meantime continue with the amoxicillin treatment. Many thanks

Meanwhile, if this hen is not eating or drinking, rather than risk dehydration and worse, I suggest tube feeding until she gains the strength to resume these functions.

Meanwhile, if this hen is not eating or drinking, rather than risk dehydration and worse, I suggest tube feeding until she gains the strength to resume these functions.
I will keep my eye on that. She does appear to be eating. Drinking is harder to tell, but it I think it appears so. Earlier in this process she had stopped drinking and eating for a day or two and I assisted her drinking.
I’ll do that again if she needs it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom