Treated plywood warping at one end

drinkoj

Chicken Chaser
May 24, 2020
Upstate South Carolina
Noticed this morning the lid for my exterior nesting box is warping, causing a gap that went from 1/4" to about 1/2". Do I just put a concrete block at the end that's warping to try and get to to settle back into place or what???

Not using the nesting boxes and have them blocked off since I have young chickens.

Remove the lid-wet it thoroughly-Place the lid top in the hot sun and it should warp in the opposite direction. The problem is to get it to bend (warp) the right amount; it would be easier to replace the lid or use the concrete block.

Remove the lid-wet it thoroughly-Place the lid top in the hot sun and it should warp in the opposite direction. The problem is to get it to bend (warp) the right amount; it would be easier to replace the lid or use the concrete block.
Concrete block it is then.
It's painted on the exterior (it had dried almost a month), attached, and I'm not buying another sheet of treated plywood.

Photos do help. The way I manage warping on plywood is to use stiffeners. I screw strips of wood, maybe 1" square or 3/4" x 2", something in that range, to the plywood with several screws all along the length. As a structural engineer using stiffeners is my first thought.

You have some practical issues. You don't want to add too much weight. You do not want to block rainwater run-off so the stiffenerers on the outside can only go one way. If you put them on the underside they can't get in the way of the lid closing. They cannot get in the way of the lid opening. You may have to get a little creative.

Photos do help. The way I manage warping on plywood is to use stiffeners. I screw strips of wood, maybe 1" square or 3/4" x 2", something in that range, to the plywood with several screws all along the length. As a structural engineer using stiffeners is my first thought.

You have some practical issues. You don't want to add too much weight. You do not want to block rainwater run-off so the stiffenerers on the outside can only go one way. If you put them on the underside they can't get in the way of the lid closing. They cannot get in the way of the lid opening. You may have to get a little creative.
The stiffenerers gives me an idea. I should be able to attach some 1x4 left over strips diagonally on the underside of the lid for that nesting box and not obstruct the hen's ability to get in. Small piece of wood but it's worth a try, thanks.

Here is the warp
Brick on it for now, structure bar underneath is next

Attachments

• F914A0AE-FC73-42FA-8830-BFB9E9B1043C.jpeg
    F914A0AE-FC73-42FA-8830-BFB9E9B1043C.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 2
  • E2996423-8A65-4699-94ED-0E18969BA3A5.jpeg
    E2996423-8A65-4699-94ED-0E18969BA3A5.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 2
Not sure stiffeners will do the trick to remove that warp.
Might just use the latches I suppose you'd planned to hold it down.
But I see another possible problem.
There is not much overhang to that lid, especially on the side, making it likely that it won't shed water properly and the nests will get wet inside.

But I see another possible problem.
There is not much overhang to that lid, especially on the side, making it likely that it won't shed water properly and the nests will get wet inside.

I hadn't thought of the overhang and water issue, dang it! I've got some extra rolled roofing that could cover the entire lid and provide some over hang.

Back
Top Bottom