Treated with ProZap poultry dust......... few questions.

If you treat birds for lice and/or mites, you must treat all the birds at the same time. Otherwise the lice will move to the birds that are not treated. I used dust w/permethrin.

YES, it is 1 LB. PER 100 BIRDS! how do you do this? ANSWER: put a few tablespoons of dust into a thin nylon man's dress sock of a woman's knee high hose. tie off the middle. the dust will settle together in the bottom. use the dust ball in the toe of the sock as a powder puff. I do the chickens at dusk just as they're roosting for the night. I pull one at a time, I turn them on their backs on a towel on the ground. I cover their heads with a fresh hankie or dish towel and hold their head gently but firm in a closed fist, this keeps the dust from getting in their eyes and mouths. I pat the sock very closely to their bodies, it doesn't take much activity to get the fine dust thru the sock. I rub and pat to get the dust through the feathers and down to their skin. I work thru their bellies and around the vent, their chest, and pull open each wing and get underneath. then I release them and tuck them under my arm and pat the sock on their backs, the top of their tail, and the back of their neck into the feather. don't fluff it around too much as their head is exposed.
I WEAR LONG SLEEVES, EYE PROTECTION AND A DISPOSABLE DRYWALL MASK TO COVER MY NOSE AND MOUTH.
If you do it quickly, it only takes about a minute per hen or less. there will be dust left in the sock , I zip lock it and keep it for later.
WHEN FINISHED, REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHING WASH IT SEPARATELY WITH EXTRA RINSES AND GET YOURSELF THE IN THE SHOWER WITH SOAP!

I do this at night so the birds are calmer. I use a flood light to help see thru the feathers and also monitor the amount of dust I'm getting thru the sock. the bright light will pick up the dust in the air. when you replace the birds in the coop in the dark, they roost and are still for the night without flapping and throwing dust everywhere. the next morning I let them out as early as possible and change the water several times a day, especially first thing in the morning.
I'M NOT SURE HOW LONG TO WAIT TO EAT THEIR EGGS AFTER TREATING THEM WITH A CHEMICAL. I GET DIFFERENT RESPONSES FROM ALL SOURCES.
**the pale birds could be a result of anemia from the mites feeding on them. check the inside of you coop with a bright light to find where the mites are hiding and scrub them out with a small stiff brush and hot soap and water.

I know this is old but I dusted some of my birds vents (they are 8 weeks old) very lightly before I move them to coop. Will they eat it and get sick? I’ve used it before on older birds so I was wondering if it’s bad for the younger ones. Thanks!

I know this is old but I dusted some of my birds vents (they are 8 weeks old) very lightly before I move them to coop. Will they eat it and get sick? I’ve used it before on older birds so I was wondering if it’s bad for the younger ones. Thanks!

I have 8 almost 2 weeks old baby silkie chicks who I realized had lice from where I bought them. I have dusted with DE but it's not working. I also would like to know if I can I use permethrin powder for babies?

Back
Top Bottom