1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Patrickshmoe34

Patrickshmoe34 New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Fort Wright Kentucky
    I'm building my first coop and have tons of old treated wood that i want to use. The wood is left over from a deck build several years ago. I intend to paint it but still want to know if its safe to use on a coop. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Krazzy

Krazzy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    Indiana
    im no expert but i would use it. my coop and run has treated wood on everything that touches the ground. ive not had any problems. i personally would not use treated wood for anything they might roost or walk on tho.

1 person likes this.
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    In my experience, chickens peck at things that are different. For example, some mud splattered on the coop. The chickens pecked at the small spots, but not the large ones.

I doubt that they would peck at any surface in general.

As far as general contact with the wood, painting it would probably cover your bases. Over time, the wood gasses off any volatile substances. If your wood is as old as it seems, it should have gassed off anything that will by now.

Chris

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by