Treating ascites?

Louisa

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Hi All,
I have a two year old black orp in my small (4 hen) flock who I am almost certain has ascites.
She's a big hen, and about 3 months ago I noticed her making funny little hiccup-y sounds, upon closer inspection she has a swollen belly which has gradually become larger over the last month or so (feels fluid filled, increasingly tight). When I first detected the swelling I treated her for egg binding (warm baths, etc. I figure it can't be that as she'd be dead by now if it was). She was eating and drinking (and voiding) normally and happily pottering about the garden with the others until the last week or so. She was a prolific layer last season (2 eggs per day on average) but I'm almost certain she's not laying anymore. This week I've noticed her squatting down periodically and gasping, her wattles are normal and healthy-looking. Her belly remains swollen and she's just not looking so happy anymore. She looks like she's having trouble getting enough air which makes sense given the amount of swelling in her abdomen.
I've read that ascites can be drained to make them more comfy in the short term. How does one do this? I've not read anywhere of any long term fixes for ascites in hens, does anyone know of any good treatments?
I'm not in a position to have her off to the vet, but will do what I can for her at home (including putting her down if that's necessary
sad.png
). The other hens are unaffected by the condition and are laying happily.
Any advice most gratefully received.
Cheers, Louisa
Pacific NW.

generally oly ascities chickens are the cornish rock crosses

your hen has a large yellow tumor in her vent area
if is caused from laying so heavily for such long time
there is no cure for her so just make her comfortable till it is her time to go.

I guess you could take her to the vet to have him drain the water that comes on the hen around this ig yellow glob in her vent areas

Some Vets will drain them but it only fills back up
as she has this cancerous growth she will never lay eggs agsain
sorry.

No tumor, her vent looks healthy and normal. She's also voiding appropriately.
Today has the crouch - tail feathers all droopy, still looks like she's gasping. Still following the others about but not as sprightly. Sits a little bit away from the others looking unhappy
sad.png

Ideas?
Cheers, Louisa

Get a needle and syringe, pop it into the abdomen and drain. Simple as that.

She won't lay again and you will have to put her down eventually, but she will be more comfortable with it drained.

Back
Top Bottom