Treating Cocci To Be Sure

WalkerH

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Southern Maryland, USA
I brought home two chickens this weekend. The person I bought them from later thought one of them had Cocci. Is it okay to treat them with Sulmet, not sure if they have it, but want to be sure. Not showing any signs such as lethargy or blood stool. DO you guys think they will be fine being treated with Sulmet?

You can treat if you want, but it's better not to if they have no symptoms. If they look "off" to you, then treat. Don't wait for bloody poop. Some strains don't cause bloody poop.

Quarantine them. And do NOT buy sick chickens anymore. You would just be inviting some illness to make the rest of your chickens sick.

Last edited:
Quote:
No they aren't. But the lady I got them from later thought that one she took home might have had cocci. So I wasn't sure if I should treat the ones in quarantine or not.

Quote:
No they aren't. But the lady I got them from later thought that one she took home might have had cocci. So I wasn't sure if I should treat the ones in quarantine or not.

I'd keep them in quarantine like you're doing. Sulmet only treats 2 types of cocci and is harsh on their system. I recommend that you go ahead and get Corid as well. It treats all 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. It'll be in the cattle section in your feedstore.

Quote:

I'd keep them in quarantine like you're doing. Sulmet only treats 2 types of cocci and is harsh on their system. I recommend that you go ahead and get Corid as well. It treats all 9 types of cocci that chickens can get. It'll be in the cattle section in your feedstore.

Alright thank you. Sounds like I'll be heading out again tomorrow for more medicine. Had to go get straw anyway.

Back
Top Bottom