Treating coccidiosis

Just got the results from the vet (after my cockerel died this morning)
Positive for round worms and for Coccidiosis.
Vet recommends Amprolium for the Coccidiosis.

Vet can't recommend a treatment for the roundworms without examining one of the other birds that could be infected (at a cost of $65). Once they take down all my birds history, they can submit a form to the state to get it approved to prescribe a dewormer. No dewormer is FDA approved for meat or egg laying chickens. Basically I would have to say I will never eat the eggs or the bird for them to approve a dewormer.

I have already dewormed with Safeguard and will repeat again in 10 days. The chickens are not laying yet so eggs are not a concern.

Just got the results from the vet (after my cockerel died this morning)
Positive for round worms and for Coccidiosis.
Vet recommends Amprolium for the Coccidiosis.

Vet can't recommend a treatment for the roundworms without examining one of the other birds that could be infected (at a cost of $65). Once they take down all my birds history, they can submit a form to the state to get it approved to prescribe a dewormer. No dewormer is FDA approved for meat or egg laying chickens. Basically I would have to say I will never eat the eggs or the bird for them to approve a dewormer.

I have already dewormed with Safeguard and will repeat again in 10 days. The chickens are not laying yet so eggs are not a concern.

Sorry you lost him. :hugs

I think you vet is misinformed, but that doesn't matter... Probably best to treat all of them for roundworms with the Safeguard, and treat all with amprolium. Do you have amprolium? Are any of the others looking iffy?

-Kathy

I have one I am watching, but not sure. The birds that have been affected range in age from 4-6 months.
I am leaving work in a few minutes. Feed store has the Corid in stock.

I have 20 backyard laying hens in a separate coop that range in age from 9 months to 4 years.
If I treat the laying hens with Safeguard, will I have to throw out the eggs for 2 weeks? Should they be treated for Cocci too? What is the withdrawl time for Corid?

Vet doesn't want to help a lot unless I bring in a chicken. I spent $50 on fecal test.

I have one I am watching, but not sure. The birds that have been affected range in age from 4-6 months.
I am leaving work in a few minutes. Feed store has the Corid in stock.

I have 20 backyard laying hens in a separate coop that range in age from 9 months to 4 years.
If I treat the laying hens with Safeguard, will I have to throw out the eggs for 2 weeks? Should they be treated for Cocci too? What is the withdrawl time for Corid?

Vet doesn't want to help a lot unless I bring in a chicken. I spent $50 on fecal test.

In the UK there is zero day egg withdrawal when small amounts of Safeguard are given for five days, so that's something to think about. In Canada piperazine (Wazine17) has zero day egg withdrawal. So think about those...

Most people say zero day egg withdrawal for amprolium.

Another product that you could try is Rooster Booster Triple Action, it's an FDA approved wormer with no withdrawal.

With all in one coop I think I'd just bite the bullet and treat for everything.

I purchased Corid and added to the water of the group with Cocci. I will keep mixing the Corid in the water for the next 5 days.
I used the Safeguard on this group because I didn't know how much they would drink since they were showing signs having problems.
When I cleaned off the dropping boards today, there were some round worms in the poo. I hope that means the Safeguard dose 2 days ago is working. None of these birds are showing signs of weight loss like the ones that have already passed.

The other 20 (separate coop), were given Wazine 17 in their water for the next 24 hours. I didn't feel like catching, weighing and dosing 20 birds with the SafeGuard. None of these are showing any signs of disease. A few are molting. I will repeat Wazine again in 10 days. These were previously dewormed about 12 months ago with the Wazine.

Question on the Safeguard. Tomorrow is the 10 day mark and need to give a repeat dose. The first time I used the liquid and gave with bread. I noticed the paste could be used instead by placing place a peas size in each beak. How do you know if they dose is enough (or too much) based on the size of the chicken?
The pullets & cockerels weight between 2.5lbs and 4.5lbs. Is a pea size a one size fits all dose?

I am questioning because not all of them were thrilled to eat the bread. Thinking the paste would be easier tomorrow.

Last edited:
Question on the Safeguard. Tomorrow is the 10 day mark and need to give a repeat dose. The first time I used the liquid and gave with bread. I noticed the paste could be used instead by placing place a peas size in each beak. How do you know if they dose is enough (or too much) based on the size of the chicken?
The pullets & cockerels weight between 2.5lbs and 4.5lbs. Is a pea size a one size fits all dose?

I am questioning because not all of them were thrilled to eat the bread. Thinking the paste would be easier tomorrow.
One pea sized blob is not enough for anything larger than one pound. One pea size blob = 25 mg. I know there are hundreds of references on the web that say to use a pea sized amount, but it's just not enough.

From left to right - Safeguard/Panacur Paste (fenbendazole) - 0.1 ml (10 mg), 0.25 ml (25 mg), 0.5 ml (50 mg).

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom