Treating comb wounds

ChasingChooks

Songster
Jan 28, 2024
Hello everyone,

Some of my hens have been pecked on their combs by the rooster. I've separated them, and have been treating the wounds with hydrogen peroxide, colloidal silver, and honey. What else can I put on them? I don't have any veterinary products, and have never had to deal with wounds. I'm thinking of painting them with iodine or putting Polysporin on.

I've been treating them for a couple days, and they aren't infected, yet. Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks!

Can you give some details about your flock, their age, how many hens to one rooster, and how much room they have? Do they get outside to roam around, and have hiding spots? Pictures of the wounds could be helpful. Roosters can sometimes really harm a hen and even scalp them, so if it is more than minor pecking, there are some suggestions we might be able to make. If the pecks are just on the comb, I leave them alone. If they are severe, you may need to use antibiotic ointment.

Can you give some details about your flock, their age, how many hens to one rooster, and how much room they have? Do they get outside to roam around, and have hiding spots? Pictures of the wounds could be helpful. Roosters can sometimes really harm a hen and even scalp them, so if it is more than minor pecking, there are some suggestions we might be able to make. If the pecks are just on the comb, I leave them alone. If they are severe, you may need to use antibiotic ointment.
Sure. Sorry, I figured I just needed some tips on what to put on the wounds. ;)

I just got a roo this past weekend, and have been introducing him to the flock. When he mounts, he holds onto their comb. (?) So, they have some puncture wounds on their combs and waddles. I separated the rooster again.

9 hens, ages 1 - 4, 1 rooster, 12x12 pen for the winter, on sunny days they free range.

I'll get a picture when I go out to feed them. Hope this helps!

Just clean them, smear some neosporin on it and let them back out.
Everything else is unnecessary, they'll be fine.
Thanks!
I don't have neosporin, so I was going to possibly use polysporin instead.

I read the honey has very good healing properties. Colloidal silver is great for preventing/healing infections. And hydrogen peroxide I used to clean. But if they are unnecessary, I can stop using them. :)

Thanks!
I don't have neosporin, so I was going to possibly use polysporin instead.

I read the honey has very good healing properties. Colloidal silver is great for preventing/healing infections. And hydrogen peroxide I used to clean. But if they are unnecessary, I can stop using them. :)
They do have good properties but the poysporin is more than adequate. ;]

Sorry, it turned out a bit dark. This hen has the worst damage.

Attachments

• 1709156532831.png
    1709156532831.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
If the rooster is young, they may well need some time away from him until he gets a little older. Just see how it goes. He probably is very excited and may calm down.

Back
Top Bottom