treating coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by swimmer, Aug 20, 2010.

1. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    We are fairly new at raising chickens. Just wondering after we clean the shavings out of the coop, should we be treating the coop with anything as a preventative measure? For bugs of any sort? There are no signs the chickens have mites or lice. Also, the chickens free range 3-4 hours a day, but am thinking of putting sand in the 10x4 chicken run for when they are in there. How deep should the sand be? There is a 3 inch high border around the bottom, would 2 inches of sand be deep enough? We live in a fairly dry climate and don't have too much of a problem with mud. Winter may be a different story. And does the sand need to be replaced over time, or just add new as it get kicked around? Any tips are appreciated. Lovin' the new gals.

2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I don't get real carried away, just knock down the cob webs old bedding, floor covering, on the compost heap, good sweeping with dust mask and then use a garden sprayer with 50/50 mix of water and Clorox (bleach). Ready for the birds by roosting time. Done Quarterly. As far as sand I have know Idea. I imagine they will swim in it so judge buy how deep they scratch they're dust ponds when they free range.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by