Treating Coryza

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by davony's chicks, Oct 29, 2012.

1. davony's chicks

davony's chicks Songster

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    Ok I know there are different schools of thought on the treating of poultry with anitbiotics... So this isn't about that.

I bought several birds this past weekend at a show and believe they have Coryza. The terrible stinch around their head is the main reason I believe this but also they have pussy bubbles in the corners of their eyes and nasal discharge. Don't know why I didn't notice this at the the sale but I didn't....

Anyway I have them in a seperate coop away from my main coop. I read somewhere to treat with tylan but my local farm and home doesn't carry it but someone said to use LA200 which is oxytetracyclene. I bought the LA200 and the article said to inject 1cc into the breast. I can't seem to find out how many doses.

Does anyone know how many doses and how often???

Thank you,
    Tony

2. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I don't have an offical answer for you, but my vet told me that one should use antibiotics at least a couple of days after the infection has cleared up. This site might be helpful: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    I believe you're dealing with coryza as well. Treat with sulmet also in conjunction w/ the LA200 injections. Scroll down to Infectious Coryza in this link:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  4. davony's chicks

davony's chicks Songster

May 30, 2009
    Missouri
    Thank you both for your help! I have checked both sites out and they have great information. I have saved these in my favorites!

Again thanks a million! I have done several searches on the topic and failed to find either of these 2 sites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: