Treating for Lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dreamgirl, Mar 28, 2008.

1. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hi, I am treating my flock for lice as I noticed some on my rooster and two hens (out of 11 chix) plus lice eggs on the feathers near the vent and lower belly, and redness and lost feathers in that area. I tried DE first, but it didn't work. I am now using a poultry dust with Permetherin (no Sevin).

My question(s): I dusted on day 1 (active lice, eggs) and day 6 (supposed to be day 7-10, calendar error, eggs only). How long does the dust last on the chicken? Should I only follow up with those chickens who have eggs? How many more times do I need to repeat this?

Thanks!

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I don't know, but someone else might know.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi!

This post has several links concerning treatment for lice.

We use food grade Diatomaceous Earth as a preventative for lice/mites with our flock and have never had a problem, so far.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

4. roxanne

roxanne New Egg

Mar 29, 2008
    Hello Everyone,
    My name is RoxAnne and I have been raising chickens now for about 6 years. We are having problems with this scaley leg stuff, as well as a LOT of runny fecal matter all over the back end of a couple of my chickens. How can I get the feces off of their hind ends?

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Hi Dreamgirl, I sent you a pm with all the info you could need. Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by