Treating gapeworm in PNW

Jul 24, 2021
Hello. I have a small flock of 7 chickens. I think one has gapeworm. She is making a hiccup sound, gapes to breath (not constantly but if she is in certain positions or has run and out of breath) has no other sounds like wheezing or bad lungs. When she gapes to breathe it makes no sound as the air moves in. She also is shaking her head and scratching more than normal. Otherwise she is eating and drinking normally. Seems pretty perky. Hanging with the flock. Isn’t acting sick. She’s been doing this at least a week. I was out of town and noticed when I got back so it could have been longer. I treated her with safeguard for horses 10% 1cc for two days and the rest of the flock for just one day (she is ~2kg). No one else has symptoms but two have a slightly pale comb just at the tips. I waited three days and she is still not better so I gave everyone another dose. I think I have read every thread on gapeworm treatment but none say how long before symptoms abate. Also, should I continue for 3days, 5 days? I’ve read one, three, five. When should I repeat? If at all? Toss eggs? Or are they ok to eat (Just for our family, not commercial) I’ve read both.

I’ve also read Safeguard doesn’t treat adult worms. That Levamisole is the only thing for that. I have not used it yet because it is for pigs and I can’t sort out the dose for chickens. I think I have to dilute the 18.15g container in 500mL of water and then dose chicken water with some amount of that but I’m not sure. I read somewhere 1/8 tsp in one gallon of water for one day. Is this correct? Do I need to repeat after a period?

lastly, should I do both levamisole and safeguard? At same time? One after the other?

anything else need to do to clean the run? It’s pretty dry now and I poured a bunch of DE and raked it into the run. Cleaned coop with water and vinegar. Put down a heavy layer of DE and clean shavings.

I posted a video of her in the lay box gaping and hiccups. Gapeworm symptoms

It sounds like a possible respiratory disease, especially since those can be more common than the rare gapeworm. You are fine to use SafeGuard alone to treat gapeworm. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound at least 3 days, and 5 is best. That also treats other serious worms.
Does she have any bubbles or foam in an eye, nasal drainage, or crackles when she breathes? There are a number of respiratory diseases, from viruses, bacteria or mycoplasma, and fungus. Here is a link to read about common ones, such as infectious bronchitis, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, infectious coryza, ILT, and others:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Be careful with DE. I don’t recommend it because it can be harmful to breathing and eyes. It doesn’t kill worms when taken internally, as it does nothing when it is wet.

It sounds like a possible respiratory disease, especially since those can be more common than the rare gapeworm. You are fine to use SafeGuard alone to treat gapeworm. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound at least 3 days, and 5 is best. That also treats other serious worms.
Does she have any bubbles or foam in an eye, nasal drainage, or crackles when she breathes? There are a number of respiratory diseases, from viruses, bacteria or mycoplasma, and fungus. Here is a link to read about common ones, such as infectious bronchitis, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, infectious coryza, ILT, and others:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Be careful with DE. I don’t recommend it because it can be harmful to breathing and eyes. It doesn’t kill worms when taken internally, as it does nothing when it is wet.
No other respiratory symptoms. Literally the gaping is silent. I can hear air smoothly move in but no crackle, wheezing, raspy noise whatsoever. Even when I hold her up close. No drainage or bubbles in the eye or nose. Other than the gaping and hiccup sound she’s her normal self and seems healthy.

If your hen is eating and drinking normally, it's not gapeworm.

Look inside her mouth for lesions and look inside her ears for debris or anything out of the ordinary. Inspect her for lice/mites especially around the vent area and neck area.

She is laying every day and she has no mites or other issues. Clean vent. She is not acting sick at all. But still hiccups and gapes! So mysterious. The rest of the flock is healthy too. I’ll try to get another video posted today.

Back
Top Bottom