Treating Infected Wattles At Home

talliejo

Chirping
Nov 30, 2022
I’m off grid in Alaska, 60 miles from nearest vet. Rooster got frostbite and wattles got swollen. I’ve had him in the shop above freezing for 5 days, hoping swelling would go down, but it’s not. Now it looks like they might be getting infected. This is not a pet, so if I can’t treat it at home, he’ll just have to get butchered. Any suggestions?

Picture? If frostbite damaged the tissue enough it will turn black and fall off, but he should survive. At least that's what happens to frostbitten combs...

Picture? If frostbite damaged the tissue enough it will turn black and fall off, but he should survive. At least that's what happens to frostbitten combs...

Attachments

• A816B70C-9598-49B6-A57A-FA5BD89BB101.jpeg
    A816B70C-9598-49B6-A57A-FA5BD89BB101.jpeg
    480.6 KB · Views: 15
Have you been using any antibiotics or ointments? Do you have any on hand? You could try removing the infected part of the wattles or even dubbing him as a last resort, but you'd need something to prevent more infection. Hoping someone else with more frostbite experience has some better advice...

Have you been using any antibiotics or ointments? Do you have any on hand? You could try removing the infected part of the wattles or even dubbing him as a last resort, but you'd need something to prevent more infection. Hoping someone else with more frostbite experience has some better advice...
I have been keeping it clean with rubbing alcohol diluted in water and then keeping antibiotic cream on it. It doesn’t seem to be making much difference.

I’m off grid in Alaska, 60 miles from nearest vet. Rooster got frostbite and wattles got swollen. I’ve had him in the shop above freezing for 5 days, hoping swelling would go down, but it’s not. Now it looks like they might be getting infected. This is not a pet, so if I can’t treat it at home, he’ll just have to get butchered. Any suggestions?
I would leave them alone. Don't handle or rub the tissue, you will make it worse.

I'm not seeing green in the photo.

He doesn't need to be in freezing temps. The wattles will self dub, same as the comb.
Right now they are filled with fluid but that will likely be reabsorbed as the inflammation goes down.

If you feel you must put something on the wattles, then spray with something like Vetericyn. Alcohol is very drying and I would not use it at all. Rubbing the tissue can also be damaging.

Up to you about giving antibiotics. Some folks do. Amoxicillin would be a good choice if that's something you wish to give.

I'm not seeing green in the photo.

He doesn't need to be in freezing temps. The wattles will self dub, same as the comb.
Right now they are filled with fluid but that will likely be reabsorbed as the inflammation goes down.

If you feel you must put something on the wattles, then spray with something like Vetericyn. Alcohol is very drying and I would not use it at all. Rubbing the tissue can also be damaging.

Up to you about giving antibiotics. Some folks do. Amoxicillin would be a good choice if that's something you wish to give.
Thanks!

My rooster is going through something similar. I have him on an antibiotic and carprovet for the inflammation & pain. I know he’s in pain because he’s huddled up not wanting to move. I’m feeding him baby food as he does not want to eat the pellets. He drinks water when held near his face. a little bit of the wattle skin is flaking away but I am not touching it as it will make it worse. I’m also keeping him in the coop where it’s cleaner than the run.

I’m hoping he’ll make a good recovery. I hope your rooster does too.

Back
Top Bottom