Treating lice?

Isyovi

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
The Netherlands
I just put our chickens in the coop and noticed one of my roosters had small insects all over his face and some on his feathers. I immediately thought of blood lice. How do you treat it? This is my first experience with it.

Sounds more like mites. You need to treat birds and coop, especially any wood cracks, with a poultry dust or spray. Treat once a week for 3-4 weeks to break the life cycle.

External parasites are a maintenance thing with chickens. Provide they with dust bath areas so they can hopefully keep parasites in check themselves. Treat as necessary. Wild birds will bring in mites and lice, so you will never be totally rid of them.

Pictures of what you are seeing could help. Do you have permethrin or an insecticide such as pyrethrins in the Netherlands? Spinosad (Elector PSP) can also be used against mites or lice. Ivermectin can treat lice, but may not be the best against mites. Here is a good article with pictures on lice and mite treatment:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Sounds more like mites. You need to treat birds and coop, especially any wood cracks, with a poultry dust or spray. Treat once a week for 3-4 weeks to break the life cycle.

External parasites are a maintenance thing with chickens. Provide they with dust bath areas so they can hopefully keep parasites in check themselves. Treat as necessary. Wild birds will bring in mites and lice, so you will never be totally rid of them.
Pictures of what you are seeing could help. Do you have permethrin or an insecticide such as pyrethrins in the Netherlands? Spinosad (Elector PSP) can also be used against mites or lice. Ivermectin can treat lice, but may not be the best against mites. Here is a good article with pictures on lice and mite treatment:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
This morning i heard all chickens have it. We stocked up on tobacco stems and we're going to lay them inside the coop. I can't find anything like pyrethrins but i could find other mite sprays, and my mom also bought a powder that they can eat so the mites won't like the blood anymore. Is there something i can do in the meantime? Like get the mites off of the chickens and kill them myself?

Back
Top Bottom