Treating Mites in Winter?

wild4horses

Hatching
Jan 28, 2019
Lake County, Ohio
Please help. My poor 8-month-old Ameraucana has lost the feathers on the front of her neck. I haven't seen any picking behaviors and she is the only one of my 8 birds that is missing feathers. I feel bad b/c the air temperature is expected to drop to 15 below zero this week and she has a naked neck! I even tried to get her to wear part of an old ski sock as a neck warmer, but she wanted no part of it and worked to get it off within seconds of my putting it on her. I believe she has red mites and am wondering the best way to treat her, considering it's the middle of winter! Also, should I be concerned about her bare neck? Any suggestions much appreciated!

I would not be concerned about her bare neck and temperature. Chickens are pretty good at pulling their head down and tucking in to keep warm. My girl did just fine for almost a year missing her beard.

Do you know it's mites? What makes you think it's mites? Have you seen them on the bird or in the coop? I would not treat for mites until you are sure it is mites. Are you able to take a close up photo of the area of her neck where the feathers are missing and post it?

This article has some really good close up photos to help identify lice and mites on the bird. They are commonly found around the vent and under the wings. You can also check your coop at night by flashlight, you can often see mites crawling around on the roost at night, or you can take a white piece of paper and run it along the roost at night, if it is streaked with red smears you have mites.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I saw some red dots on her skin where the feathers are missing, so I thought she has mites, but I am definitely NOT 100% sure (especially since the only issue is with her neck and she is the only affected bird), but I am baffled how else this has happened. I have never seen one of the others picking at her ( and especially not around her neck(?)). I will definitely take a much closer look with my flashlight this evening after they have roosted. In the meantime, any other thoughts on what else might be causing this? She seems to have lost more feathers (the bare area has gotten wider) over the past week or so. Otherwise, she seems fine... laying, active, curious, eating drinking, pooping ok, etc)...

How old is she? Could be molting, could be that other girls have plucked her beard, not uncommon (just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean they aren't doing it), could be mites/lice.

She is 9 months old. Isn't it unusual that she would completely lose feathers only in this one area if she was molting?

I'm just offering other possibilities since you seem convinced your other chickens haven't plucked out her beard, which would be my best guess to what's going on.

Molting can be patchy and random.

Mites generally hit other areas than the neck hardest.

Is it the back of the neck or under the chin? Back of the neck could be an over mating thing as well (whether behavior is from a rooster or dominant hen).

Again, I'd check your coop and this particular chicken by flashlight after dark for mites. I'd also look at the photos in the links and do a thorough exam on your chicken to look for any of the signs of mites and lice. Upload photos of the bald spot and any other suspicious findings.

Also are there signs of new pin feathers growing in? Does it look like feathers have been broken off or are they just missing? Is the bird currently laying? How does her comb look? Does she act ill in any other way?

5B417EE7-B64C-458C-914E-070584A3D478.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom