Treating mites

FloridaHen13

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2018
Is there an effective way to treat for lice and or mites in drinking water? I thought I read somewhere that you could use ivermectin injectable. Does this work and does anyone know the dosing? Or is there another product that works in their water?

Is there an effective way to treat for lice and or mites in drinking water? I thought I read somewhere that you could use ivermectin injectable. Does this work and does anyone know the dosing? Or is there another product that works in their water?
How many birds do you have?
I don't know of any products to go into drinking water for treatment of external parasites.
As far as I know, Ivermectin does not mix with water, so even if you used that you need to give the correct dosage to each individual bird since it's normally given by weight.

Use a permethrin based poultry spray or dust to treat for external parasites. You can find it in feed stores or online.

I’ve got 25. I’m going to dust the coop and run and any of the chickens I can catch. I just didn’t know if there was some other product to give them to insure the mites are wiped out.

I’ve got 25. I’m going to dust the coop and run and any of the chickens I can catch. I just didn’t know if there was some other product to give them to insure the mites are wiped out.

Treating the birds, cleaning out the housing and treating that, then repeat the process in 7-10 days a couple of times should wipe out the mites.

you can use injectable ivermectin 10mg/ml in the chickens drinking water or added to their fermented feed. amounts given here https://www.kepro.nl/products/991/ This company sell ivermectin to treat poultry for internal parasites (nematodes, Capillaria spp.(crop worm) and Ascaridia spp.) and external parasites like mite and lice infestations. In the coop I sprinkle liberally regular powdered sulphur every 6 weeks. It both eliminated a bad mite infestation and also prevents them from coming back. Sulphur is perfectly safe for chickens http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/pyrethrins-ziram/sulfur-ext.html and the efficacy of sulphur against mites in poultry has been scientifically tested and proven.

Back
Top Bottom