Treating Pekin's fox wounds

AdoAnnie

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 17, 2011
One of our pekins was attacked by a fox Friday night. There isn't a vet in our town who will treat a duck. Thanks to you all, we found lots of useful information here on how to treat her for shock and how to dress her wounds.

We weren't sure she'd make it through the night, but she's able to stand, walk, drink, and has eaten a little (bananas and yogurt). Her worst injury is to her neck, where we guess the fox grabbed her and probably shook her. She's still weak, but can quack and move her neck to drink. She's holding it in a drawn position, but she will extend it to drink and lay down.

We brought her inside in a dog crate filled with straw. We treat the wounds daily by irrigating them with Chlorhex, drying them, Neosporin and Blu-Kote. I've also given her an injection of Penicillin (Thanks for the resource, casportpony!) and will continue for three days.

We're giving her electrolytes in her water. How long is it safe to give her the vitamins/electrolytes?

Her mouth seems dry and I worry about dehydration.

I'm also worried about her neck. I don't know how we'd know if there's something broken or permanently damaged. How long before we should expect to see improvement?

Sorry to hear that! You know it's really tough to say. Sometimes it's seems like they are getting worse and then one day they are up and running around like nothing has happened. Stress is one of the biggest threat to her at this point. Sorry I'm not much help, it honestly sounds like you are already doing it right. The hardest medicine to give them sometimes is patience :barnie

Well seems you are doing the right thing.
She will take at least a couple of weeks to heal maybe more.
Here is my solution to the body help:
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
for 1 bird
3 tbsp. of dry crumbles(what ever dry feed you use)
1 tsp of flax seed meal ( human kind)
2 tbsp plain yougart
6 tbsp. of milk.
ADD
1 Vit E 1000 mg (cut the tip from the Vit E capsule) add to wet mash
1-Vi B Complex tablet, crush in tbsp. and add a little water to dissolve then add to wet mash
1 Selenium tablet crushed and add little water to dissolve add to wet mash
STIR VERY GOOD
ADD EXTRA MILK IF DRY.
MAKE SURE IT IS LIKE sloppy wet not soupy,( ducks will eat it thin than chickens)
FEED EVERY DAY FOR TWO WEEKS.
Then 3 times a week for ever.

Back
Top Bottom