YamYam

Chirping
May 8, 2021
South FL
I have a quail which I think has sour crop, all she had been doing for the past few days has been drinking water.

I bought miconazole today but im completely confused with how much I should give her, anyone know?

So far I have given her some apple cider vinegar in her water and had the quail vomit some of the clear liquid out, which seemed to help.

Would appreciate help asap!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 43
How is she doing?

This is the treatment I follow for chickens. I have treated chicks with the Miconazole as well, but just adjusted the amount according to size. So... for an adult quail, I'd probably give 1/3 of what's in the article. There is no specific dose for the cream, so it's hard to say how much to give.

I'd be very cautious about vomiting her, she could choke and die. Has she been laying eggs at all?
Do make water available and let her have some soft food too - wet feed and a little mashed egg is good. Even though the crop is not emptying, she still needs nutrition to recover.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you for replying!
I got her started on miconazole today. I'll stop vomiting her, I don't want to risk it.

She has not layed any eggs since I took her inside, but I have been giving her some wetted food and scrambled eggs which she eats- just not a lot.

Hopefully she can improve with time.

Sometimes having crop issues can be a symptom of something else going on.
Your first step it to treat the crop to see if she improves. Even if she starts getting better in a day or two, remember to finish the full course of Miconazole twice a day for 7 days.

Sometimes having crop issues can be a symptom of something else going on.
Your first step it to treat the crop to see if she improves. Even if she starts getting better in a day or two, remember to finish the full course of Miconazole twice a day for 7 days.
Right, I only recently received the quail and to add to that the brand of food was also changed.

I've read articles recommending three doses of Miconazole a day, and others two. Would three doses (I fed her 1/4 ml) be too much?

Right, I only recently received the quail and to add to that the brand of food was also changed.

I've read articles recommending three doses of Miconazole a day, and others two. Would three doses (I fed her 1/4 ml) be too much?
you can do 3 if you wish. I usually have good results with just 2.

Update: the quail just passed away.

A few hours before, she started rapidly shaking her head and breathing very hard, but she did not have anything stuck in her throat. After checking on her she calmed down, but after checking on her just now I found her dead.

Back
Top Bottom