Treating sick chicks.. Egg question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by michellepagan, Dec 8, 2013.

1. michellepagan

michellepagan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    McGregor, MN
    Okay, so a good portion of my flock is sick. They have had diarreah and "foul" poop. I have been treating with antibiotics and most of it has cleared. I have oone or two that still have loose stools. I am going to move my girls this weekend and santize the coop.

Anyways I have never dewored my girls and I am wondering if I should just go ahead and do so now. I already can't use thier eggs for 10 days or so. (This is not a big deal as I got my first egg in almost 6 weeks today)

What should I use to deworm, and how long before we can start eating eggs from the girls after worming ends?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay what were you giving the antibiotics for--diarrhea or something else? Antibiotics can cause diarrhea after a few days, but other things like worms or coccidiosis, and others can also. Safeguard liquid goat wormer or horse paste is a good wormer, and Valbazen is also good. Give a pea sized amount of Safeguard paste or 1/2 cc/ml of the liquid, then repeat in 10 days for worm eggs. Throw out eggs for 14 days after last worming unless you want to eat traces of worm meds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by