1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treating Wounds for Ducklings and Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Morighan, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Morighan

Morighan New Egg

Jul 4, 2016
    Southeast US
    I am making this post for those who may have babies that get injured whether by other birds or predators.

One of my Rouen ducklings was attacked by something and was missing a lot of skin on its left leg, neck, and shoulders. We cleaned the area up really good with a saline wound wash and removed all debri with tweezers. To help with shock, we removed all food and fed sugar water and wrapped in a wash cloth to keep it warm.

The next morning, I took my duckling to work with me (I work at a vets office) and we flushed the wound with chlorahexadine flush and gave an injection of antibiotics. The duckling was on Metacam for pain for three days and SMZ liquid (antibiotic) twice daily for 7 days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These images are three days after attack. Will update with more pictures in a few more days. Duckling is still active annd loving. I think it's about a week or so old at this point.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by