treating wounds on chickens

istanley24

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 26, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Hi all,

I have 6 hybrid chickens and they are in a run throughout the day and then free range in early evening whe I get home.

We have had some fairly aggressive feather pecking and have had the main culprit in a seperate smaller run for a last few days (maybe a week). Before the seperation, two of the birds had blood beneath the vents, so we got a antiseptic solution from the vet and have washed them regulary in this. They now seem to be recovering.

Last night when I get home, one of the other birds had a very nasty wound on her back, and the other hens would not stop pecking it. I took her and washed her in this also, and now have her in the seperate run and the leader back in the main run with the 4 others.

I was just wondering how best to treat a wound on a chicken, and whether I am right in keeping her seperate from the others whilst the wound is still open.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

Thanks,

Ian.

yes you are...keep them separated because if you do not they will literally be eaten alive by the other birds...
Just in case the problem is associated with a deficiency you can give them a good poultry nutritional/vitamin supplement...one of the most comete one s I know of is Avia Charge 2000 (you can order online from McMurry or Strombergs)

Back
Top Bottom