Treatment for chicken with canker??

LegoVasavouchi

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
Oklahoma
I was holding one of my chickens today and I noticed something weird on the side of her mouth, and when I opened her beak (which she made very difficult) i could see it was swollen skin from the inside of her mouth, and there was a yellowish sore on the roof of her mouth. She's still eating, laying, and in good spirits so I'm hoping the infection has only just started, but what's the best treatment for a canker? Should she be isolated from the rest of the flock? And are there any preventative measures I need to take to make sure the rest of the birds don't get infected as well? Any advice is appreciated!

20200418_183933.png

Treatment for canker is metronidazole 250mg once a day for 5-7 days. Infected birds are carriers and will spread the disease mainly by waterers. You can buy acidified copper sulfate and add it to the water to keep it in check. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once a month. Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. Do not overdose.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html

Treatment for canker is metronidazole 250mg once a day for 5-7 days. Infected birds are carriers and will spread the disease mainly by waterers. You can buy acidified copper sulfate and add it to the water to keep it in check. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days straight once a month. Make it fresh daily and dont add anything else to the mixture. Do not overdose.
https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/acidified_copper_sulfate.html

Thank you! I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and see if I can get a prescription - they aren't specialized in chickens so it'll be good to have the name of what I need for them! My one concern with the copper sulfate (which I am ordering now) is that I also have a duck and naturally she drinks a lot more water than the chickens do - would it be unsafe for her to drink the water with the sulfate in it? Or should it be okay as long as I've been careful with the dosage?

Back
Top Bottom