treatment for mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken parm, Nov 28, 2009.

1. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    what is the best way to treat for mites? not sure if they have them but keep losing feathers or are pulling them out. also weird behavour in the coop. chickens are throwing there poop in the nest boxes and scracthing all the shavings in a pile in middle of the coop. strange never have done this. any ideas.

2. chickens friend

chickens friend Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2009
    Southwest virginia
    I have used permitherin like I have heard so many tell me to use, but I found out that using SEVEN guarden dust works better than anything so far. When dusting make sure to cover their eyes with your shirt so no dust gets into their eyes, I wont hurt them but it will irritate them. I do use permitherin in the nest boxes and around the roosts and every where else. Also do they have a place to dustbath, if not that might be why they are pilling up their shavings to fluff in?[​IMG]

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I personally wouldn't reccomend either unless the mites are trying to carry off your chickens. Try diatomatic earth .Much much safer.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by