Treatment for possible sour crop

Jgarza77

Songster
Apr 20, 2021
2 year old bantam hen; possible sour crop. Noticed that the crop is very large and squishy a couple days ago. Had work the past two days so didn't get a chance to really look her over til today. She's doing some exaggerated crop adjusting every few minutes and has been having watery poops. I picked her up to bring her in for a closer look and while struggling, she expelled some fluid from her mouth. She's still eating and foraging, but not as vigorous as usual. She is drinking a LOT of water. Edited to add: I also noticed that when she bends her head down to peck at food, she comes up and does a "drinking water" motion; as if she's trying to get fluid down. I see so much conflicting advice; feed/withhold food, isolate/leave with flock, acv, yogurt, miconazole etc.. Just looking for some straight forward advice so I don't waste time with treatments that won't help, or worse, that will hurt her

Last edited:
I'd re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink (after sleeping all night long).

For me, I do not withhold food/water, no do I separate out birds (unless they are being attacked/picked on). For those that have crop problems, they usually self limit on eating and they absolutely need to be drinking to avoid dehydration and to hopefully move things on out.

Take care when you pick her up if she's expelling fluid from her beak that she doesn't aspirate. When I treat a hen with a crop problem I pick them up with support along the abdomen between the legs, avoiding the crop, a hand on their back to stabilize. I promptly move them to a table or my work area and let them stand on their own.

When was her last egg?
When you examine her, do look for lice/mites and feel for bloat or swelling of the abdomen too. Very often a crop issue is a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis and/or infection.

The article below is the treatments that I follow when treating my hens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'd re-check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink (after sleeping all night long).

For me, I do not withhold food/water, no do I separate out birds (unless they are being attacked/picked on). For those that have crop problems, they usually self limit on eating and they absolutely need to be drinking to avoid dehydration and to hopefully move things on out.

Take care when you pick her up if she's expelling fluid from her beak that she doesn't aspirate. When I treat a hen with a crop problem I pick them up with support along the abdomen between the legs, avoiding the crop, a hand on their back to stabilize. I promptly move them to a table or my work area and let them stand on their own.

When was her last egg?
When you examine her, do look for lice/mites and feel for bloat or swelling of the abdomen too. Very often a crop issue is a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis and/or infection.

The article below is the treatments that I follow when treating my hens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Last egg was yesterday, no abdominal bloating, and no mites. Thank you for the advice! I'll check her out first thing in the morning. Should I start her on miconazole today?

I give apple cider vinegar in the beak or drinking water and put them in a dark or quiet place, and contrary to popular belief, I make them vomit it up, it’s saved 5 hens of mine
I have no experience with vomiting a chicken. I'm worried about choking her, and I feel like if I don't know what I'm doing then I shouldn't do it

@Wyorp Rock Update: Checked her this morning; crop still full and squishy, maybe slightly less so. Gave monistat at 1 and 7:30 yesterday, and again when i checked her at 6 this morning. She's acting pretty lively, and I did see her have a solid poop. Will continue with the monistat; how long before I should start seeing the crop go down?

Crop problems can take days to weeks to resolve depending on the cause.
I'd continue the Miconazole for the full 7 days twice a day.
@Wyorp Rock Update #2. It was definitely sour crop. Monday she woke up with smelly brown fluid on her chest. When I picked her up she expelled more fluid and a big gas bubble. Took her to a vet who sees exotics on Tuesday and he diagnosed crop stasis. She's been on Nystatin and metoclopramide since then and looks like the sour crop is under control. He recommended bringing her in just so I can monitor what and how much she's eating. All this time she's never gotten lethargic, had healthy poops and generally looks great. Only problem is her crop is still not emptying due to the crop stasis. My question is: is this something a crop bra will help with? I'm going to put her back outside tomorrow as she looks like she is done with being in the house

Back
Top Bottom