Treatment for swollen head due to injury and E. coli infection

growurfood

Songster
11 Years
Apr 19, 2013
San Antonio
Hi,

I have a chicken with a head injury from another chicken pecking it. This morning she has a very swollen head, the wound is infected, most likely from E. coli introduced in the cut. I’m thinking about giving antibiotics immediately. Sulfa? It needs to be something I can dissolve in water and give to her.

anyone have this happen to their chicken? Any advice, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can you post some photos?

I would clean it out with Chlorhexidine or Betadine, remove any pus that you see. Apply a triple antibiotic ointment.

Do you have an antibiotic on hand?

Can you post some photos?

I would clean it out with Chlorhexidine or Betadine, remove any pus that you see. Apply a triple antibiotic ointment.

Do you have an antibiotic on hand?
I just got some amoxicillin capsules, 500mg. I was planning on mixing it in water and giving it to her by mouth with a syringe. Just looking for the dosage right now. She’s a smaller chicken, flighty breed.
(I’ll get a pic for you later today if I can)

I just got some amoxicillin capsules, 500mg. I was planning on mixing it in water and giving it to her by mouth with a syringe. Just looking for the dosage right now. She’s a smaller chicken, flighty breed.
(I’ll get a pic for you later today if I can)
How much does she weigh?
Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally 2 times a day for 7-10 days.

The powder in those capsules doesn't mix well with water at all. Easiest way would be to mix the powder with a "known" measurement of something. Say 1 teaspoon of liverwurst or coconut oil. Then you can divide that teaspoon up into your dose. So...1/2 tsp would equal 250mg, 1/4 tsp would be 125mg and so on.
Make sense?

How much does she weigh?
Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally 2 times a day for 7-10 days.

The powder in those capsules doesn't mix well with water at all. Easiest way would be to mix the powder with a "known" measurement of something. Say 1 teaspoon of liverwurst or coconut oil. Then you can divide that teaspoon up into your dose. So...1/2 tsp would equal 250mg, 1/4 tsp would be 125mg and so on.
Make sense?
Ok, well I just gave her about 300 mg in 6 cc of water. I’ll try the coconut oil for the next dose. She weighs about 4 lbs.

01FC7A20-8A2F-40DE-834C-8F10C453FF5A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom