Treats and leftovers

Hi Earthnut...I apologize if you took my post the wrong way.
I had just allowed my hens to eat a whole bag of organic apples from the orchard nearby. Then I did a search on apples and chickens and came up with the below thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19163 There seems to be a lot of misinformation about safe foods/treats for our chickens.
As for the Wormer and throwing the eggs away I was quoting a link to a thread on some other forum from a moderator 'Wes' from a link that was listed under dlhunicorn. I'll look for it for you.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
So far mine have loved popped popcorn best of all! I wondered about feeding a peach...I'm guessing the pit would be dangerous to leave in the run, or would they know it's too big to try and eat?

If you want to see a baby chicks (7 weeks) go crazy, feed them mealworms. I bought some at the local pet store to train my girls that, no; I am not a monster that will eat them every time I have to clean their cage. If I put my hand in the cage, they run over to look for worms. They just loose their little minds over them!

cheeptrick, I still stand by my last post, but I respect your choices. These things are very much personal interpretation. We raise these animals ourselves partly to have control over these things, rather than someone else, so you should do what ever makes you feel comfortable.
hugs.gif

from the worm thread, yes, worms in apples can carry parasites. So can earthworms, and just about any other bug that your chickens might come across if they peck around outside. Since I can't prevent them from eating any bugs, I personally wouldn't worry about some from apples. But you should do whatever you feel comfortable with.

from the wormer thread, Wes said, "There is NO regulated time limit for tossing eggs of birds that have been wormed because there isn't any wormers approved for use on chickens laying egg for human consumption." While some people would see this as a reason to not worry about the eggs, it's exactly why I personally would not eat the eggs. It simply hasn't been tested, and Eprinex isn't even approved for poultry. Even though it doesn't show up in milk, we're still dealing with a lot of unknowns here, and I wouldn't take the chance. But again, I have no problem with what you choose to do.

Last edited:
Earthnut...this is a great coorespondence. Exactly what BYC forum members need. INFORMATION...to formulate their own opinions and research their path with their own flocks. And I agree with you on tossing the eggs with Wazine...I had just read this information and my post was more of a thoughtful ponderance of the two threads.

My girls LOVE yogurt, ravioli, bananas, pumpkin, raisins, grapes from my vines, and all the pulp from making my fruit jelly.

I also very occassionally give cottage and shredded cheese.

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom