Treats and leftovers

I made a big pot of turkey soup recently and after we ate it for way too many days (I could do without seeing another pot of turkey soup for a while LOL), I put the leftovers outside. The ducks slobbed in the liquid and drank that up, the geese ate the veggies and the chickens fought over the meat.

My chickens love bread. If I have trouble getting them back back in there coop I just make a bread trail right up to the door and in they go.

It's funny but I feel BAD if I go out to the back yard and don't have something for them. They are all so excited to see me...well, the treats they think I have for them anyway. I always end up picking some dandelion greens out of the garden area just so I can go back in the house guilt free. I think my chickens have me well trained....so, in a pinch, dandelion greens and small bits of grass will win their love.

I think Backyard Chickens is brilliant! Everytime I look up whether my 'girls' should eat something or not theres always something to have a giggle about. We have had our three girls for nearly 6 weeks and in the beginning I was worried that I may give them something to eat that I shouldnt - but reading other owners comments obviously I was worrying about nothing. My girls loved having their Treat of cooked potato peelings, sprouts, pomegranite with a couple of small tomatoes. Keep on giving all these helpful hints as we have found them a great help. Thanks all - Burney

I just gave my two girl chickens , cracked egg shells this morning and they picked at it until it was gone, they loved it. They will also eat lettuce carrots etc..as long as it is cut short enough for them to pick and eat.

I was wondering about this. I have heard many many times to not feed them egg shells because it will teach them to crack their own eggs and eat them.

I still feed them egg shells because it makes so much sense to feed them that calcium back.

I did the cabbage thing with my girls.
For food value it was a total failure.
For relieving boredom it got the job done
For entertaining my husband and me PRICELESS!

They get any fruit or veggie leftover. They get treats in the morning (usually a warm, cooked treat) and after I let them stretch their legs in my yard for a couple hours. They probably get 3 cups of treats a day.

Last edited:
I was getting a bit worried that you shouldnt feed chickens apples - I have fed apples to mine and they loved them!
My girls are about 24 weeks old now and the other day while they were having their run around in the garden one of them found the biggest worm......the other two chased her around till she eventually came to me poor thing - she couldnt get rid of them and couldnt stop to eat it either.

Back
Top Bottom