Treats and leftovers

I haven't found anything yet my chickens don't like. Some of their favorites are mac and cheese, any type of bread, and they love pears. Oh and berry cereal.

I do feed their shell back to them. I remember doing that as a kid and never had problems with them eating their own eggs.

Now mealworms are their absolute favorite thing in the world. I have a certain mealworm container and they come a running!

I am fairly certain my girls "know" when its spaghetti night. The next morning they are right there ready for their leftovers and not a single one tries to sneak through the door!

They're happy with pretty much any sort of leftovers, but they love mac n' cheese, rice, yogurt, most veggis, pizza crust, fruit, and string cheese is right up there with mealworms. It usually costs me at least 2 sticks to get them to go to bed early. They have free choice pellets 24/7 and I try to let them roam the yard as much as I can, so their diet stays pretty balanced even with me tossing a handful of this or that out the back door every so often.

I will say, tho, that they've been penned up more often than usual lately because a fox has taken up residence nearby and I almost lost one a few days ago (after losing my frizzled cochin the week before). So they havent been getting as many goodies beyond their morning scratch and their layer pellets.

Wow, we're still new at keeping chickens and I'm amazed all these awesome treat ideas! I can't wait to try some of these and see if our girls love them too!

We are entertained every day by our 4 chicks,especially when food is involved. This summer one of the girls caught a small snake. Before I could get to her she put her foot on the snakes head, ripped it in half and gobbled it down still wiggling! Wish I had caught that on film. They also love lizards,peanuts and oatmeal cookies.
Four delicious eggs a day, almost every day!

My chickens favorite food are blueberries! They just can't seem to get enough!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom