Treats and when, please!!!

SamanthaBrooke

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Jefferson, GA
Okay, I gave my chickies hard boiled egg yolk mixed with their chick feed and they absolutely hated it, is there anything else I can try at 4 days old without harming them? It is very important for me to tame and keep friends with these babies for their future and mine!

Again they are 4 days old, I want treats that I can feed by hand.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
I usually wait until my chicks are at least a week old before introducing new things such as treats. They will probably turn their beaks up at new things and may even be scared of it at first. But give them time and keep offering it. They'll learn. There are a few safe things you can feed them, have a look here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/181429/good-treats-for-baby-chicks

Just remember that it's very important to feed grit as well when you give them treats, to help them digest it. If you can't find chick grit sprinkle some clean, coarse sand over their food.

4 days is too early to give food treats. I wait until they are 3+ weeks old and start with boiled egg. I just cut the egg in half and lay it in the food bowl. Their naturally curious behavior dictates that they must check it out. Cornbread is another favorite. Sprinkling grit over the treats is o-kay, but don't offer it 24/7 or they will gorge on it.

Thank you, I think I'll pick up a bag of that UltraKibble For Chicks, it's a free range supplement at TSC, and offer some of that in my palm dice it's safe for day one mixed with feed.

Back
Top Bottom