Treats chickens DON'T Like

My chickens will not touch lettuce with a ten foot pole. Whenever I weed my gardens they come real close and wait for me to flip them worms! They slurp them down like jello shots! They loved cherries and blueberries, but those are pricey chicken treats! I'm excited to try yogurt too!

What is it with the bananas? I told them, "They're delicious! They have potassium! It's... I don't know, it's probably good for you." No deal.

When I went back later, I thought they had eaten the bananas. But then I looked more closely, and found that they had simply trampled them into the grass. Well that's just rude, if you ask me. Just say "No thank you," there's no need to get DRAMATIC about it.

Quote:
Maybe they know better than you think. There's another thread on here about chickens getting potassium poisoning from eating too much banana.

We heard chickens like dandelion leaves, so we tried them...of course "our" chicks wouldn't touch them, oh no, they went straight for the pheasants' bamboo plants (leaves)! Little snobs.
smile.png
We've had to encase it so they can't get to it (although they try and have already reduced the plants to just stalks).

We give our girls yogurt, strawberries, and cottage cheese - so far they really like it!

Jane

Last edited:
Mine will eat anything if it is in my hand. Anything. I have to be careful not to accidentally feed them non-food items.

Sprinkled in the coop though, some of the same thigns that were delicious from my hand aren't even interesting. I think it is because I fed them first chick starter, then mealworms by hand, so anything in my hand simply must be delicious.

Quote:
I read that raw potato skins are toxic to animals

OMG! YES! THEY ARE!
Just another example of how chickens are smart.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I plan on posting the list of treats on their fence just so they can SEE what they like to eat. So far we are stuck on grapes, rice, corn, and cornbread. Everything else I get dirty looks and my shoes pecked.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom