Treats container?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Life is Good!, May 5, 2011.

1. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    I'm having trouble convincing my chicks that treats are good! Seems they've never had them before (they're almost 5wks).

What do you put your treats in/on?

So far, a paper plate works well to carry from house to coop - then sprinkling on section of shavings - then they'll go for it. But if it's on the plate, oh no! Scary, scary plate! And I've tried their metal chick feeder (have switched to a pvc feeder placed low) - but their heads don't fit in it any longer! They use it as a mini-roost instead!

I don't like finding strawberry chunks in the shavings - ewwww....that was three days ago! Ewww...

2. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I"ve been using an extra, not to be used for baking again, round metal cake pan to give treats to my nine 3-6 week olds. I started off with a small amount of plain yogurt with their starter food sprinkled on top. They go for it like crazy! Sometimes I put a hunk of dirt with grass in it or some other yummy treat like finely chopped tomatoes, grapes, or cooked brown rice. They were a little suspicious of the pan to begin with but now they are so excited any time they see it. Several of them fly up on it before I even set it down in their brooder. And once it's down, it's a feeding frenzy!!! I also have been giving them treats by hand so they aren't so afraid of "The Hand". [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I bought a bag of disposable aluminum pans from Sam's Club (Costco, etc.) They are pretty inexpensive considering the pack is so large and the pans are reusable many times over. I have given them all extras in them since the beginning. My girls know..big shiny pan = treats!

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    So far, just "the hand". I'll probably pick up a couple of random bowls at Goodwill or a yard sale at some point. Something stoneware would be nice because it wouldn't tip over so easily.

5. buffs only

buffs only Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Conyers Georgia
    Kimntep X 2, I place "treats" in a round aluminum pan for my 4 week+ old buff orps. They see the pan and know whats coming.

Buffs only

6. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Blue paper plates... they learned quickly... blue plate means food... even if it is MY food. [​IMG]

7. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I used the large saucer from clay pots. They are heavy, so don't tip over and are easy to spray clean with the water hose. I used them for their sandbox in the brooder, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by