Treats/Foods

This is me, lmao
*Phone rings*
Wife- Yes?
me- hey baby *snaps and sends picture* they got these {insert bird name here} at the “feed store”. See the picture.
Wife- *picture comes through* aw how cute(as she looks up the breed). How many are you thinking? We’ve already got {insert current number here}.

me- I don’t know?!?!? What do you think? 2, 3, 4, 6, 8?

Then I get home.
Wife- you know you’re crazy with all these birds right?
That is me and my husband just switched he always tells me I'm crazy with the birds only with the chicks though he never says anything about me taking in roosters I have a batchler coop for my rescued roosters I love them i have 8roos in my main coop and as of tomorrow there will be 8roos in the batchler coop I'm going to pick up2 tomorrow

When brooding myself I begin heathy treats at two weeks old along with chick grit. At about 6 weeks old they’re with the flock and eating healthy kitchen/garden scraps daily with access to free range. They eat what they decide is best for them. I completely stay away from spinach, avocado, sugar, and dairy.
When using a broody hen, I allow her to make all decisions with regard to chick health while free ranging. They are fully with the flock from day 1. I stop giving daily scraps to everyone in the run until the two week mark. After that it is momma’s job to make decisions.
Everyone gets grit from free ranging.

This is me, lmao
*Phone rings*
Wife- Yes?
me- hey baby *snaps and sends picture* they got these {insert bird name here} at the “feed store”. See the picture.
Wife- *picture comes through* aw how cute(as she looks up the breed). How many are you thinking? We’ve already got {insert current number here}.

me- I don’t know?!?!? What do you think? 2, 3, 4, 6, 8?

Then I get home.
Wife- you know you’re crazy with all these birds right?
Another victim of chicken math.

I just started giving fermented feed daily, its supposed to be really good for them. I keep dry food in the feeder at all times also
I do the same thing twice a day. I took the dry from them mid-spring to have them eat the pasture however egg production fell by 1/2. Then I put the dry food back egg production doubled.
My dry food is a mixture of whole grains and cracked corn with 10% soy meal. I ferment the same next without many oats

Mine live frozen watermelon, apples hung up
20200708_113911.jpg
, peaches, cabbage, scratch & sunflower seeds. I also go out in the evening & catch grasshoppers to give as treats the next day, as mine are not free rangers.

I do not give "treats". Of you are feeding a commercially prepared chicken feed, you should NOT be giving treats. Commercially prepared food is a COMPLETE feed. That means it has everything in it that a chicken needs. If they are eating treats, they will eat less of the Commercially produced food and therefore will be butrient deficient.

I do not give "treats". Of you are feeding a commercially prepared chicken feed, you should NOT be giving treats. Commercially prepared food is a COMPLETE feed. That means it has everything in it that a chicken needs. If they are eating treats, they will eat less of the Commercially produced food and therefore will be butrient deficient.
Each chicken owner does what they feel is best for their chickens

So I've been discovering new things about chickens!

Few weeks ago when they were just little I remember reading NOT to give chickens any treats till after their first lay?

My little ones are about 4 months old. They only eat chicken feed, grass and whatever they scratch up/peck from the ground outside.

My questions are:
- When can I start giving them treats?
- How often? How much? Like once a week or every other week?
- What kind of treats aside from mealworms?
- I read that when starting to give treats also include grit?
- If so, I saw eggshells can be grit? Or oyster shells? But I think mine are too young for that because of too much calcium (or protein. Can't remember which) because they're technically not laying yet.

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to be sure!

I have 6 pullets and one young rooster.

Thank you!
I didn't start giving my chickens oysters shells until they where fully grown out. I mix oton with there feed. I think it really depends on the breed. My chickens still hasn't laid any eggs, but they are showing signs that they are ready. I am going to put two golf balls in one of the boxes and pray that they start laying. I think they just need a little more time. They don't want to wait to long, because I can really get hangry.

Back
Top Bottom