Treats/Foods

Pics

MrsBarefoot

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Tampa, FL, US
So I've been discovering new things about chickens!

Few weeks ago when they were just little I remember reading NOT to give chickens any treats till after their first lay?

My little ones are about 4 months old. They only eat chicken feed, grass and whatever they scratch up/peck from the ground outside.

My questions are:
- When can I start giving them treats?
- How often? How much? Like once a week or every other week?
- What kind of treats aside from mealworms?
- I read that when starting to give treats also include grit?
- If so, I saw eggshells can be grit? Or oyster shells? But I think mine are too young for that because of too much calcium (or protein. Can't remember which) because they're technically not laying yet.

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to be sure!

I have 6 pullets and one young rooster.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1043962.jpeg
    1043962.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 17
Hello,

I give mine Watermelon. They are 18 weeks old. They love it. We buy two a week for them. Spoiled but it sure helps with this Florida Heat. I do add grit on the side in their own free will dish. We do oyster shells.
Watermelon sounds like a good idea here in Florida! I am in Tampa and it's definitely been too hot.

So I've been discovering new things about chickens!

Few weeks ago when they were just little I remember reading NOT to give chickens any treats till after their first lay?

My little ones are about 4 months old. They only eat chicken feed, grass and whatever they scratch up/peck from the ground outside.

My questions are:
- When can I start giving them treats?
- How often? How much? Like once a week or every other week?
- What kind of treats aside from mealworms?
- I read that when starting to give treats also include grit?
- If so, I saw eggshells can be grit? Or oyster shells? But I think mine are too young for that because of too much calcium (or protein. Can't remember which) because they're technically not laying yet.

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to be sure!

I have 6 pullets and one young rooster.

Thank you!
Hi you need to supply grit based on a few things and it is found at TSC, feed stores, etc., I believe it is ground up granite to be specific but not sure to be 100% off the top of my head. The heat is getting to me. I am sure that you can supply treats after chickens are about a month old or some less depending on the treat as long as you have chick grit available. It is oyster shell that should not be supplied until they have had their first egg laid. Roosters know instinctively not to take oyster shell. Chicks know instinctively when they need grit. Chicks do not need grit with just the starter grower crumble or pellets. There are some formulations out there that have the grit added to them already in both the starter forms and the next stages. You just have to read the labels but I prefer to buy mine separate and supply separate that way I know mine are getting plenty of grain for my buck and they can be selective about the grit they want to intake. When your chickens are molting and not laying you need to take them off the oyster shell formulations as well and remove it.

Back
Top Bottom