Treats for 3week old chicks!

jessiduck

Songster
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
New York
I don't have any grit on hand! Any ideas? I read that one person took just a clump of grass and let them peck at that as a source of grit. Good/bad idea?

Give me some feedback!
Thanks!

If you have any gravel near you just rake back the big rocks and there should be a lot of little sand like pieces. I did that for my chickens before I got to the store.

The Wild Bird Seed...the chickens really like it. They take their time and peck out what they want; all the while clucking and chirping at me and each other. Then the ducks show up...

The ducks are essentially pigs with wings and gobble the bird seed right out of my hand; no table manners.

Bird seed is very high in fat for young birds. For the first 6 weeks they need nothing other than chick starter and water, as their digestive tracts are still maturing. I do occasionally give them a little chunk of turf or take them out into the grass (weather permitting) for entertainment value, not for nutritional purposes. They do not need grit while eating just chick starter.

Bird seed is very high in fat for young birds. For the first 6 weeks they need nothing other than chick starter and water, as their digestive tracts are still maturing. I do occasionally give them a little chunk of turf or take them out into the grass (weather permitting) for entertainment value, not for nutritional purposes. They do not need grit while eating just chick starter.

Do you have the published data on that...I'd like to read it.

Thank you all for your helpful info!

I love the comment about ducks being pigs with wings!
SO true lol!!! Love em' all though<3

LOL - I dug up a small chunk of grass - attached to a clump of dirt - and set it in the brooder this afternoon. Scared the poor little buggers half to death. They all ran under the pitiful little maran's cage (see "Baby maran just not 'thriving') and chirped and muttered for at least 5 mins. Then an unlucky tiny little worm crawled out of the dirt and IT WAS ON! Once they had raced around and around and around the brooder fighting over the worm, they spent a long while scratching at the dirt but never seemed to notice the grass sticking out of it. Silly little birds.

Back
Top Bottom