1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treats for chicks! And taming

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lovesanimals101, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ChickenGal6

ChickenGal6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    I have 6 chicks I actually don't know how old they are and at about what age can you start giving them treats?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Live meal worms are handily better than dried of same and other non-insect options including yogurt. Setup an experiment where they have a choice of all three at same time. You will see something very interesting.

3. ChickenGal6

Apr 2, 2016
    I am going to give mine their chick grit when they are 2 weeks old i think that's okay right? the back of the package said to give it to them at 2 weeks.I also found out that today they are 5 days old.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  4. ChickenGal6

Apr 2, 2016
    So can I can give my chicks mealworms at 14 days old and they'll be fine?

5. ChickenGal6

Apr 2, 2016
    And for you WyoJax I herd that chickens will eat icecubes with mint or strawberries in them and they love it! P.S. In the summertime of course!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

They can handle them as a first food item although they may have a little trouble dismembering them. The tug-of-wars help with dismembering the larger coarser prey items. You can cherry pick the live meal worms for callows of a given instar (size). The freshly molted callows are much easier to consume.

7. ChickenGal6

Apr 2, 2016
    Thank you!!

8. YaYa27889

YaYa27889 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Eastern NC
    My little flock will be three weeks old Sunday. I just introduced grit this week. I only leave it in for a few hours at a time as the chick starter is so fine

9. WyoJax

WyoJax Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2015
    Wyoming
    Do you place grit directly on the ground or in a feeder? I'm very excited about treats for these babies but I'm still a little new to the scene. Grit helps break down the food I'm assuming. So it's not something that needs to be there all the time but when feeding the girls extras? Can you add the grit directly to the feed? Thanks in advance.

10. YaYa27889

YaYa27889 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Eastern NC
    I put the grit in a feeder so i can remove it as needed. But that is just the way o interpeted the directions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by