Treats for chicks

Amgill0415

Songster
Jan 11, 2020
Northwest Indiana
Hey everyone! What would be ok treats for my new chicks? They are eating starter just fine, but for added fun I thought id give them meal worms or maybe birdseed balls for parakeets so they have different things to peck at and play with. Is that ok? Or do I need to feed exclusively starter for a while?

I do give *some* treats to chicks but more as a training element. They get a few broken up mealworms when picked up and held, or if they come over to investigate my hand, etc. Also make sure they have access to appropriate sized grit to help them digest their treats.

I do give *some* treats to chicks but more as a training element. They get a few broken up mealworms when picked up and held, or if they come over to investigate my hand, etc. Also make sure they have access to appropriate sized grit to help them digest their treats.
I ended up getting some millet sprays and freeze dried mealworms for them. I just put a few of the meal worms in for them to try out and the millet I cut into little bits and put inside a cat toy ball so they have to peck away it and chase it. I also sprinkled some chick grit throughout the container. Not much of any of it, but a bit of variety in addition to free feeding of starter

Yes! A chick foraging with it's Mother hen would be outside scratching and pecking at what she shows them. Put a chunk of sod in your brooder, mealworms, greens, whatever a free chick would be getting into. A box of dirt with grit on top is a good idea too!

chicks in brooder with grass.jpg

Back
Top Bottom