treats for chicks

Gonzo

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Southwestern, In
th.gif
Help! can chicks get intestinal parasites from eating crickets?

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been giving our chicks worms too! I hope that's not a problem. I feel like a hovering mother with these little sweeties. I don't think I worried about my children this much!

Shouldn't have any problems with meal worms that are raised and sold as fish bait or in my case Chick treats... Mine love'em and get them twice a week and I have never had any problems.

But earth worms you do need to beware

They will find the worms on their own, but you shouldn't add to their numbers by digging them up and feeding more to them.

Slugs and snails also can carry a number of parasites.

Intestinal parasites symptoms: Bird will be eating but get skinny, look unthrifty (eyes half mass, look droopy, feathers don’t look good). I believe you will even see worms in their poo.

Gapeworms can be transmitted by eating worms and insects. More common in tropical areas. These are parasites of the respiratory system. One notable symptom is when a chicken has their mouth open all the time.

I think there are some chicken owners that deworm their chickens every year whether they need it or not. For future reference, Cayenne Pepper works as a natural dewormer.

Edited: I purchase mealworms at the pet store and they are safe. Some people even raise their own mealworms. backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30444 Yummy!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the info!!! I will be on alert for the symptoms of parasites, but try not to worry too much.

It really is like having babies. I just want to do everything right and be a good mom to my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom