Treats for Ducks?

Quote:
bread is empty nutrionally for ducks and just fills them up without offering them anything, so then they end up not eating the food they need. i have also heard that it can cause some internal problems but i'm not sure about that. my ducks shouldn't be able to fly, the fat little pekins, but they were able to get over four feet off the ground without a running start the other day. i was so surprised!

I give my ducks floating Koi sticks, which they love. So i bought a big 50lb bag of floating fishfood from the feed store figuring they'd be extatic. They were less than thrilled. They wouldn't even touch it. What punks...

haha. your little punk ducks. i have tried given my ducks all these nice treats. i made them oatmeal, gave them bananas, cut up tomatoes for them and they look at them like "um no. we're not eating that. we want watermelon."​

Darkwing, a lot of them are domestic or domestic crosses which is why they can't fly. The bread just makes them unhealthy.

What do you think fuels those long migration Flights in the wild? They load up on carbs which they convert to fat for storage. it is energy dense which they use for fuel. They burn a lot while flying and arrive at the nesting sites lean and mean and in good shape to lay. When they return they are hungry and look for the best food sources to recover. ~gd

4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.

Last edited by a moderator:
smile.png
Why not Bread? It has wheat, rye and other kinds?? Just asking, I give mine bread once a day for a treat.
hmm.png
ep.gif
:eek:

Because bread is just basically sugar.

In the wild, ducks only eat whole grains and only during the fall.

For a treat, my ducks get high protein cat food. They all share a handful every day.

Mine wont even touch stuff like pretzels. A well-meaning friend tried to give it to my ducks. They looked at it and then glared "This isn't cat food!" LOL

My picky buttheads wont even eat watermelon...but I have seen them eat a pork rind hubby dropped on the ground.

Mine always LOVED parsley. I always grew it, just for them. I, personally, hate it
tongue.png

Last edited:
My gf will be happy to hear this. She has parsley popping up all over her garden and didn't know what to do with it. She can save it for my duckies
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom