Treats

honestly I would not give them anything till they are 12 weeks, their little systems can't handle much more than the medicated mash

I give my chicks lots of things including bread. As soon as they are given anything besides Starter Crumbles my baby chicks are given free choice chick grit and they choose it with pleasure, Their tiny gizzards are at optimum function at an early age. I have tried yogurt but they didn't eat it. They went up and tested it but that was as far as it went. Maybe if I had mixed it with their crumbles. My hens love it.

I also waited until mine were a bit older. The current bunch likes cereal, especially cheerios and they go wild for mealworms and crickets.

I am a firm believer in no treats for baby chicks. Mine do not get treats until about 8 weeks, when they go outside to their nursery coop. My reasoning is that treats tend to make them forego the valuable nutrients they need in their formulated chick feed. The chick feed provides all the nutritional needs for proper growth and development.

Back
Top Bottom