Treats?

JohnCT

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
NW CT
I read the treats chart here, figured I would spoil the girls a little (I can see this becoming a problem
big_smile.png
) so we picked up some broccoli and a head of cabbage, you would think I was serving it to a 5 year old, no interest at all in either?

Does it take time for them to figure out it's food, or do I just need to keep going down the list till I hit what they like?

Last edited:
I've tried feeding mine cabbage it was not a hit. Mine like collard greens, kale, grass clippings. I hung the cabbage in their run & eventually had to put it in the compost pile.

Quote:
It may seem like they're finicky - but it's just that they're suspicious.
You "might be trying to poison them"!
Their little brains are marvels of self-protective instinct.
I don't know if yours will go for it but mine will watch if I peck with my finger at a new food and then they'll try it. Sometimes not until I leave the area.
Yesterday I gave them an entirely NEW food, a whole head of cauliflower.
They screamed when I threw it in, but when I came back it was only a stump left. Yum!

It takes a while for that trust to be built up. Feeding them something new everyday and letting them take it from your hand helps. Eventually, almost all things you give them will have them attacking it. I had to feed them yogurt off my fingers before they would eat it. Now I have to stand back if they see me coming with a bowl of it. Ours will devour a head of our own grown cabbage in 15 minutes. Was funny watching one take a small head of cabbage and flip it over her shoulder like a bride's bouquet. Not many things they will not eat from us. We hand raised them, so that helped.

We occasionally get the same treatment as Cosmopolis Chick with having to leave them alone before they will eat something new.

When I got mine at 11 weeks, they wouldn't eat anything except grower mash, grower mash and, um . . . grower mash.

I foiled them by sprinkling mash over everything I offered them for the first week, and this worked out very well. They'll now eat anything except salmon salad and green beans.
hu.gif

I agree that hand feeding helps. At first they'd only try things if I was actually holding the dish for them, but now they're completely in love with the dish itself, and all is well.

mine are not hot on cabbage either.. now cooked rice STAND BACK oh they are serious about rice, noodles zucchini,yogurt raises just about anything but not cabbage not yet anyway...

if you cut a zucchini in half and hang it so they can peck the inside if the zucchini they have a blast with it it turns out to be a great game because the zuc, swings back and forth and bounces off them whikle they peck it..

have fun findiung out the goodies

)O(
Pink

Tried the cabbage again today, this time I chopped it a bit, and mixed it with some fresh grass clippings and a little scratch grain....

Well the results were amazing, they went nuts over the bowl, ate the whole thing, cabbage and all.

It was quite fun to watch, and everytime I walk up to the pen now, they come running to see what I have brought.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

If I knew it would be this much fun, I would have done it long ago.

Last edited:
My girls love chinese food! It is so funny watching them eat cheerios and yogurt. They flip the cheerios up in the air before they eat them and the yogurt...lol...they peck at it a few times then wipe their becks in the grass, then back for more. They also love ears of corn, salad greens, bananas,spaghetti and noodles. No green beans or carrots for them!
big_smile.png

I don't have any chickens yet but have enjoyed reading the posts....The funniest treat I read was "eggs".....That just doesn't seem right!!!
big_smile.png

"

Back
Top Bottom