Tree Fungus Growing on Tree in Chicken Run

missoulamomma

Hatching
5 Years
May 15, 2014
I just discovered some sort of bracket fungus growing on the base of the lilac tree in the chicken run. I'm concerned because most types of bracket fungus are poisonous. I broke them all off, but the hard base is still present and I caught my lead hen pecking at one this morning. Obviously I'm concerned.

My thought was tea tree oil applied directly to the base of the fungus that remains, since it won't scrap off, or vinegar. I'm not sure if either of these will kill the fungus, but I'm obviously needing something safe for my ladies. Though, I'm not sure tea tree oil is safe for chickens either if she pecked at it. Perhaps the strong smell would dissuade her from trying to eat it?

And I'm unsure of if I need to do something for my hen. I didn't see her actually eat any, but I can't be positive...

Any suggestions or shared experience with this would be much appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

I think I could block it off without cutting off access to feeders/waterers that hang from the tree! The tea tree oil seems to be working on the areas I've treated, though it is now showing up in other areas, so, yes, I think you're right. I'm just going to have to block it off. Thank you!

I think I could block it off without cutting off access to feeders/waterers that hang from the tree! The tea tree oil seems to be working on the areas I've treated, though it is now showing up in other areas, so, yes, I think you're right. I'm just going to have to block it off. Thank you!

Your welcome
smile.png

Too bad the Tea Tree oil didn't kill all the fungus. I would think you would get the same result from vinegar.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom