tree hugging city slickers createing rules for the farmers

Quote:
Still haven't gotten used to skunk. It will wake me up at 2 in the morning and keep me up. Manure is okay. I like hearing the rooster crow once they're mature. Boy do they sound pathetic until then.

Farmers are annoying when they let more than 5 or 6 cars get stacked up behind them. Some are real courteous though and pull over the first chance they get. No worse than RV's going 45 in a 55 or a group of bikes doing the same.

We had a city person who wanted to move out here and start an organic farm, sounds harmless eh?

They went to all the neighbors around the land they were considering and asked a lot of personal questions among which were who smoked and other things. Someone put empty chemical fertilizer bags all over the property they were looking at (wonder who did that?) they decided to look elsewhere.

I'm from the city, and LOVE the smell of manure when I drive through the country. I HATE suburban sprawl. And I live in Buffalo, where there is a 40% vacancy rate in the houses (yes, 4 out of 10 houses are empty....though it's obviously more concentrated in some areas than others).
But more importantly, country/city or WHATEVER....I think a person has no right to move somewhere and try to change what's already there (in a negative way....I know you know what I mean). First come, first served.
We always talk about buying a home in the country, but don't want to be SO far out and lose the conveniences.....but it seems like every year it's a further drive to the REAL country with ridiculous pop-up cities and neighborhoods being built in between.

I have thought very hard about starting a movement to allow small agricultural plots in the city....in the neighborhoods where entire streets are being abandoned. And then people could say "I love coming to the city, but hate the smell of manure!"

Quote:
It's kind of self perpetuating. Farmer buys land cheap in the early 1900's huge acreage. Cultivates it and passes it to sons who pass it to sons who pass it to sons. Eventually the city gets closer and the roads improve. Property tax goes up because the land value has quintupled. So they sell off a chunk to pay the taxes. That chunk gets houses or an industrial complex built on it. Up go the taxes again.

Growth is an amazing thing isn't it. My realtor told me to buy land because they don't make it no more.

Quote:
can we still buy at the flea market if not imma bust heads in, and soon i really need 30 chickens, luckily my momma we just bought some hens from behind a small grocery store the other day good thing no cops were there, can we still buy fresh veggies on corner stop

What is the country coming too that we are buying chickens from behind a grocery store? Did they share the space with drug dealers?

Quote:
can we still buy at the flea market if not imma bust heads in, and soon i really need 30 chickens, luckily my momma we just bought some hens from behind a small grocery store the other day good thing no cops were there, can we still buy fresh veggies on corner stop

What is the country coming too that we are buying chickens from behind a grocery store? Did they share the space with drug dealers?

If it is a Mexican grocery store, they probably sell them behind the store because the city doesn't let them sell inside. Here in Denver they made a big ruckus about that as part of the anti immigrant movement. They like to slaughter them fresh or sell them still alive so that they are fresh. very common to have live chickens in the back room waiting for live slaughter.

Our area doesn't have many illegals or even many Mexicans. I have never seen anyone selling animals out of the back of a store. Interesting.

Quote:

If it is a Mexican grocery store, they probably sell them behind the store because the city doesn't let them sell inside. Here in Denver they made a big ruckus about that as part of the anti immigrant movement. They like to slaughter them fresh or sell them still alive so that they are fresh. very common to have live chickens in the back room waiting for live slaughter.

that is how it is here. we have a huge immigrant population. Not just Mexicans. But a local outdoor flea market where you can set up and sell for just two dollars, is a great place to sell your livestock. I sell my extra roosters there and 90 percent of the time they're bought by Hispanics. i can get twelve dollars a rooster there.

There are several Hispanics that sell a lot of their traditional vegetables for good prices. Today i sold my birds then bought some fresh chillies.

some people don't like this place because people buy sell and trade livestock at cheep prices. It is mostly small farmers and hobbiests though. You do run into some people who do not care for their animals well, but if you get to know the people out there they will let you know who to buy from and who to avoid.

It is one of the last places you can do that around here without going to a licensed auction house. If they banned the sale of animals there then I think a lot of people would hurt.

Back
Top Bottom